Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Android Developer or iOS?

     I can start off by saying that I am an big Apple user. It's funny because I use to fight with my brother about which was better, Apple's iOS or Google's Android. This was before I started developing for Android and I still fight with him about it, but I actually have the knowledge now to come up with factual arguments. At the time, I had never had an Android device so I guess you could say I was pretty ignorant, but after selling my iPad to get a Samsung tablet so I could be more "diverse", I still discovered that I was in favor of iOS.
     That being said, in the future I want to research more about developing for Apple. Currently, CHRONI only works for Android platforms and maybe if I can find blogs or articles about the "big switch" I can go about it more easily. We're still working out bugs in the app for Android, but there will also still be another person working with CHRONI once Joye graduates in May. Maybe by that time, CHRONI will work more efficiently with less bugs. 
     Someone did mention to me that there was a program that made writing for multiple operating systems so much easier. Upon more research I discovered Xamarin's cross-platform development tools. Still being new to the computer science field, I have much to learn, and most of the big chunks are programming languages. Android operates in Java, iOS in Objective-C (switching to Swift), and Xamarin's developing tools in C#. The question is, now that these tools make coding for apps so much easier, would it be better to just learn C#? I want to learn both regardless, but for timing, I want to learn what I will use most often right now. I honestly need more information, but I think I will start off with Objective-C or Swift. If CHRONI has already been made with Android Studio then there really isn't a huge purpose to remake it with Xamarin. I'm definitely going to look into Xamarin in the future because the whole cross platform thing is just super innovative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment